Monday, March 10, 2014

Okay, I'll Edit Now

As many of you know, the past year has been quite a rough journey for the Tupper Family.  Editing took a backseat for quite awhile as my family and I dealt with life's major curve balls.  I won't get into all of that here in this blog since "Finding Jim Tupper" is all about my novel writing journey not real life. ;-)  When I finally got back to my Vampire Chess saga, I fell back into a very familiar trap.  Rather than work on editing the first book (Shadows of the Knight) or the second book (Order & Chaos) of the saga, I gave in to the overwhelming urge to write the third book: Endgame.  300 thousand words later, I have a trilogy of rough drafts to edit!  As with its predecessors, I am very happy with the way everything came together for the third book.

My great hope is that this will prove to be a fine stopping point to finishing editing Shadows of the Knight in order to get the manuscript ready for external consumption in 2014.  The first three books work fairly well as a standalone trilogy even though a total of five books are planned for my Vampire Chess saga.  Book four will be a bit of a departure for the saga while book five will wrap everything up (both outlines will fill in rapidly as I edit and my brain works overtime).  I did manage to edit some portions of the first two books while writing the third. As Endgame pulled together plots and subplots into a tighter story, I also came up with two more scenes to add to Shadows of the Knight and one more for Order & Chaos (they will be written when I reach their respective spots during my next editing pass) thanks to a new character joining the saga.

Wish me luck with the editing so these books will someday see the light of day:

The Vampire Chess saga:

Shadows of the Knight - 258k words
Order & Chaos - 229k words
Endgame - 300k words

No comments:

Post a Comment