Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Vanishing Time

Well, so much for finishing the first full edit by the end of the summer! A pleasant diversion earlier in the summer renewed my interest in my old hockey fan web site (The Unofficial Web Site of the Trenton Titans). After a rough four years as the Trenton Devils, the ECHL affiliate owned by the NHL's New Jersey Devils, the parent company pulled the plug on the franchise. However, the ECHL and a hardcore band of fans (not to mention two wonderful investors and a supportive local government) wasted no time in resurrecting the Trenton Titans for the upcoming 2011/2012 ECHL season! Naming longtime Titan defenseman Vince Williams as their head coach and securing former Titans general manager Rich Lisk and Titan icon Scott Bertoli to help return the franchise to former greatness instilled instant enthusiasm in a fan base that was just itching for a revival. Thrilled by the dramatic return of Titans, I immediately got to work updating years worth of neglected files for the web site that went dark in the fall of 2008 after a couple of years of dormancy. That hobby instantly swiped editing time but was soon trumped by the call of the corporate world. A few curve balls at the day job quickly put my plans to revive the site on ice (hopefully only temporarily).

While increased hours at work set back the web site plans, I resumed my dedication to squeezing in a little bit of time to edit Shadows of the Knight. I've crept past the 70% mark reviewing the novel that has grown to nearly 247k words. I'll save my predictions for when the first edit will be finished but rest assured that the editing continues and the plot lines and character development keep tightening. It will be a real challenge for me to move forward with the first novel when this edit is finished as I'm itching to start writing Order & Chaos, though I've heard from enough amateur authors who let the manuscripts pile up to be careful of that trap. Wish me luck as the grand juggling act continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment